Saturday, April 21, 2007

In Korea


Finally on the road again, giving me an incentive to blog. With some problems, because blogger.com will only offer me a Korean UI while in Korea. Well, I gather it's a good way to learn Korean...
This time I had much better access to Korea, its market, people and culture than on my prior visits. Having figured out the basics, I could, with the right introductions, meet a host of interesting people who can help us to further our interests in this comparatively small, but thriving and attractive country. Attractive because it is similarly structured like Japan, where we have huge success - with the right connections and people on the ground.
Among others I enjoyed meeting with Eun-Chul Lee, who won a gold medal in riffle shooting at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. He was quick to point out that he never killed anything or anybody other than a spider that has crept into the target (in the light of the VT shooting).
I learned something very good from him: "He said you can shoot 10s if you learn to shoot tens. You'll shoot 9s, if you learn to shoot nines. Most people learned to shoot 9s. I learned to shoot tens." Consequently he set the olympic world record in riffle shooting.
I think this is a very profound statement and good guidance from him and his teacher.